Thursday 9 April 2015

Remastered games - A must or a must not?

Now I keep seeing updates on Remastered games becoming available.

Just shut up and take my money.
I get the appeal, but are to many games trying to cash in on getting re released and getting that extra cash bump?

Now I can see certain titles falling into the category of 'must play', like the Last of Us, it was one of the reasons I brought my ps4 for, I would have never of experienced it on ps3 and missed that story and experience all together.

But do I need a Darksiders 2 remastered? No.

I suppose its a bit of a double edged sword and an argument you can't really win or lose, you can have an opinion and everyone is welcome to theirs even if its wrong in my eyes.

I just feel as the days go by, this console cycle has turned into a somewhat remastered hash machine, now aren't we suppose to be pushing the limits with the games publishers are developing at the minute and getting new games?
10 out of 10 would play.

Saying all this though I've fallen into the trend myself, mostly out of there not really being many games to choose from these days.

My PS4 being somewhat an Indie machine.

I said I wouldn't get Borderlands The Handsome Collection and I did, this was justified by not playing the Pre Sequel and its DLC and never playing the Borderlands 2 DLC, this made sense to me, a game I could also coop with my girlfriend and play casually over time dropping in and out whenever I played it.

Then we come to Saints Row IV, this being an odd title that I brought and played for 5 hours, I think I was trying to scratch my Sunset Overdrive itch and couldn't quite reach it so thought that would work, I was wrong. £25 wrong.

I have all the intent to go back to it at some point in the future again dropping in with a very casual approach to the game, a few hours of mayhem then back to the daily grind called life.

When it comes to value for money though some games just absolutely kill it and they are very hard to ignore like the Halo Master Chief Collection, but even games held in such high prestige suffer the downside of never working properly online from day one, so much so early adopters of the game through the months of November and December will also be getting the Halo ODST campaign free of charge when its released later in the year.
Can't wait!

I guess you can't argue with die hard fans and there hands full of 'Shut up and take my money' cash.

I don't know where I stand on this argument, I see both sides, I agree with both sides, I guess I just want the remastered games I want and not others, I can understand the appeal of Halo 2 Remastered, the Games completely different,  you can see the huge change its gone through and what you can do with ten years of updated tech, but I find it hard to see the appeal in a Devil May Cry and Dark Souls 2 rehash when the games are both over a year old.

Is it just me or do other people feel this way about certain games and feel the smaller teams and resources used could have been distributed better?

Koi Koi to another ManicallyDepressed-ModeratelyFunny blog

P.s I'm seing Bladerunner at the cinema tonight :O

Caleb

No comments:

Post a Comment